Medalist feed started out by investing in a large barley sprout facility to make sprouts for cattle feed lots and dairy farms. The benefits and results were so amazing that horse owners also wanted in on a better feed for their horses. Medalist Feed developed a new specialty pellet for horses that come in two options Alfalfa pellets and Sprout pellets. Sprout pellets consist of barley sprouts, alfalfa, oat hay, and Timothy Grass. Barley sprouts are a fresh, vertically farmed feed that is processed into pellets within a day of harvest. It will save you space, save you money, and save your horse from all the shortcomings of baled hay.
One customer reported that he went from feeding 20 lbs a day of a different brand of alfalfa cubes down to 14 lbs a day of sprout pellets. His horses are maintaining weight and look healthier than ever. From a sustainability standpoint taking into account the 25% waste from a horses distaste for hay bale stems, and being 30% more efficient at maintaining weight than traditional alfalfa hay cubes, one could argue that over time our sprout pellets will pay for themselves.
The sprout pellets have vet-recommended optimal protein with 50% more slow release energy than alfalfa hay. Because of the barley sprout the energy sources are slow-release and easily digestible, this feed lowers the risk of colic and founder. It is the best possible feed on the market for your horses.
a) What Benefits Do Sprouts Have To Offer My Horse?
- There are many benefits when you switch over to sprout pellets:
- Horses eating sprout pellets reduce the incidence of ulcers, inflammatory laminitis, tie-up, compaction & colic
- Sprouts will Reduce recovery time after hard work
- They provide exceptional growth rates in yearlings
- Stimulates appetite, especially during conditions of heat stress
- If fed daily, maintains a horse’s well being by aiding the digestive process and supplying protein and high levels of cool energy. This allows a horse in work to maintain the bulk essential for an extended campaign
- Improvement in general appearance and coat condition
- High in digestible fiber, which is digested into volatile fatty acids & is readily absorbed into the bloodstream as a source of energy
- Sprouts contain higher concentrations of the freely availably minerals important for animal nutrition, compared to grain prior to sprouting
- Helps replace essential fluids and nutrients lost in work and increases hydration, especially in regions where heat causes excessive loss of fluids from sweating
- Provides essential amino acids and vitamins which encourages early breeding (D Cuddeford. PhD Royal School of Veterinary Studies)
- Slow Released energy without becoming "hot"
- Improved behavior
- Higher milk production in lactating mares
- Source:https://www.foddersolutions.com.au/equine/ (Fodder Solutions has conducted may studies world wide on the benefits associated with feeding Fodder Solutions barley sprouts to horses.)
b) Is It True That Spout Pellets Are A COMPLETE Feed?
- Yes, we have worked with veterinarians and Ag Scientists to formulate the perfect horse pellet blend that provides a complete feed for horses of any age. **The only other supplement we recommend to enhance the sprout pellet is our mineral rocks from Redmond Utah. These mineral rocks will aid in balancing their electrolytes and mineral nutrients.c) Can I Add Water To Soak Them If I Wish?
- We have made the size of our pellet very small to eliminate the concern of choke. However, it's not necessary but If you wish to soak them in water, that will definitely provide the benefit of increasing their hydration.d) How To Sprout Pellets Compare to Hay Cubes or Alfalfa Pellets (as far as nutrition)
- The enzymes inside the sprouts will help to reduce the risk of bloating. It's also a slow release energy which helps your horse to be well-manored and calm. Plus all the benefits mentioned above.e) Is It True That I Can Get a 50 lb bag for $30 including shipping at CHEWY?
- Yes! Chewy has a fantastic connection with the shipping companies, and they will send you a 50lb bag of sprout pellets for only $30
- https://www.chewy.com/medalist-sprout-pellets-complete/dp/277316f) What Do People Say About Their Sprout Pellets?
- Complete nutrition for an endurance horse!
“I own an OTTB who requires just a little more than the average horse for nutrition. He is my current endurance horse. He has battled with on again off again tying up, mental struggle, and muscle loss. So many owners are quick to say their horse has a bad attitude, is unwilling and stubborn. However, nutrition plays the biggest role in their overall mental and physical health. Sometimes the smallest nutritional change can make the biggest difference. Three weeks ago I purchased my first bag of Medalist Cubes to try in place of commercial grains. WOW!!!! What a difference!!! His Topline is filling in nicely, no issues of tying up and he mentally is willing and ready to work. I can’t say enough great things about this product. The best part is there is ZERO waste! I’m a forever customer. Thank you Medalist feeds!!!!!” - Tanya C.
- "Horses new favorite
My horses and burro are in love with the sprout pellets! They are like a school of piranhas at feeding time. They are more energetic, their eyes are brighter and there is a noticeable difference in their overall health and appearance. Great product!"
- "The horses are loving it
I have started supplementing with the pellets. My horse and pony absolutely love them."
- "First delivery
Good delivery goats love the stuff"
- "Horses are loving it!
Been using for about 2 months now, I love the subscription! Love not stressing about storage. Horses are all looking great on it ages 7-29! And I'm not supplementing extra like I thought I would."
- "I feed this to my goats, horses, and cows
I feed this to my goats, horses, and cows and they look fantastic. I've seen a huge change in them in the last month since starting this. You might want to look into camelina oil for your elderly horse as well. Since starting this regiment of this feed and camelina oil, my horse who foundered has come around to full health and body weight. I'm sold on this feed."
I have a breeding farm of 11 horses, includes stallions, mares and babies. So far, so good with the sprout pellets! Will give more feedback as we continue to observe their behavior, health, performance and coat and hoof health. Stay tuned!!!"
- "Love Medalist!
So happy I switched to Medalist feeds - easy delivery, great quality, and even a recurring delivery so no more worries about getting hay through the winter! Thank you!"
- "Horse feed
Feeding this is so much easier and cleaner than feeding hay. And my horses love it and look great!"
- "My Vet was very pleased with the improvements
My 24-year-old mare was struggling with a major metabolic imbalance early last year into the Spring. We were trying various meds, feeds, and supplements. In June she had a bout with colic and that got me into doing more research on her feed which led me to Medalist Feed via Facebook, Upon calling the customer service number for Medalist I was given the information that it is low in starch and sugar and due to its slow release it is easier for my horse to digest and keeps her feeling more satisfied so she is not as food aggressive as she used to be. I have shared this information with my local vet who had not seen my horse since last Spring. Now that my horse is back in St George The vet came out yesterday to give her a vaccination and he was very pleased with the body weight and condition of my mare."
- "We love medalist feed!
We love the pellets, our horses love the pellets, the price is affordable especially with delivery built into the price. The delivery drivers are friendly and helpful when delivering! I am so glad we found medalist feed!"